The DREAM Program in Vermont began in 1999. At this time, having not yet offially formed as an organization, DREAM consisted of volunteers from Dartmouth College and the residents of nearby Templeton Court Apartments (in White River Junction, VT). The concept of DREAM as a non-profit and a mentoring organization was just beginning. In November of 2001 DREAM became an independent non-profit organization and the first Local Program was formalized out of the relationship between Templeton Court Apartments and Dartmouth College.
Today, DREAM operates thirteen Local Programs in Vermont.
- Birchwood Manor paired with Champlain College (est. 2004)
- Castleton State College (program being revitalized) (est. 2004)
- Elm Street paired with University of Vermont (est. 2002)
- Franklin Square paired with St. Michael’s College (est. 2003)
- Franklin Street paired with University of Vermont (est. 2005)
- Hollow Drive paired with Dartmouth College (est. 1999)
- Johnson State College (program being established- 2012)
- Northwoods paired with Dartmouth College (est. 1999)
- Pine Meadow and John Graham Court paired with Middlebury College (est. 2008)
- Riverside paired with University of Vermont (est. 2008)
- Town of Poultney paired with Green Mountain College (est. 2008)
- Union Square and the town of Windsor paired with Dartmouth College (est. 2001)
- Willowbrook paired with Bennington College (est. 2008)
Support for these programs comes from our offices in South Burlington (within Ben & Jerry’s Headquarters), Winooski (at the Elm Street neighborhood), Bennington (at the Willowbrook neighborhood) and White River Junction (at the Northwoods neighborhood).
Each of these Local Programs runs traditional DREAM activities throughout the school year and transitions to community enrichment and adventure programs during the summer months. During the summer and winter, DREAM operates Camp DREAM for mentees as well as various adventure trips and retreats for mentors and teens.